Can you become addicted without serious mental health problems?

Photo: Brookie at the English-language Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0. No edits by me.
Hello all. I've been thinking about a question that comes up when we talk about addiction. Does poor mental health have to be the cause? Can somebody become addicted if they didn't have serious mental health problems beforehand?
The short answer is yes. A person can develop addiction without having a separate, serious mental health condition beforehand. That doesn't mean mental health is unimportant. It means we shouldn't decide that one explanation fits everybody.
I wanted to be careful with this, so I looked at information from the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Mental Health. They describe addiction risk as involving different factors, and the relationship with other mental health conditions as complex. That makes more sense to me than saying it must always start in the same place.
Mental health difficulties can increase someone's risk of developing a substance use problem. Some people use alcohol or drugs to cope with distress. Substance use can also contribute to other mental health difficulties, and shared factors, including stress, trauma and genetics, can affect both. Seeing the two together doesn't tell us which came first for a particular person.
There are other factors too. Biology, age, social surroundings and access to substances can affect risk. Repeated substance use can change the brain. Not everybody who drinks or uses becomes addicted, and no single factor predicts exactly who will.
I also think we need to be clear about the words we're using. Addiction is itself a health condition involving the brain and behaviour. Asking whether somebody had a separate mental health condition before it began is different from saying their mental health is unaffected now.
And not having a diagnosis doesn't automatically mean somebody has never struggled. It would be wrong to assume that. But it would also be wrong to insist that everyone must have a hidden diagnosis or a traumatic past to explain their addiction. That's a question for proper assessment, not a guess we should make about somebody.
For me, the important thing is that people don't have to produce the right backstory before they deserve help. We shouldn't ask somebody to prove they've suffered enough, or tell them their problem doesn't count because their life looks all right from the outside.
I know how difficult addiction can be to explain. I want to write honestly about my own recovery, but I don't want to use my experience as a rule for somebody else's life. What helped me may be one useful part of a conversation. It can't tell me everything another person needs.
If somebody has difficulties with both addiction and another mental health condition, both need attention. If they don't know what came first, that shouldn't stop them talking to a GP or an appropriate addiction service. They can explain what is happening now and ask for help working out the next step.
For families, I think this matters too. You don't have to solve the cause of someone's addiction before getting support for yourself. You can care about them and still ask what you need to stay well, what boundaries you need, and who you can talk to.
This is why I want Quiet Strength Recovery and Quiet Sisters Recovery to offer room for reflection, rather than tell people who they are. They're free lived-experience guides. They aren't there to diagnose somebody or replace the care they need.
I still have things to learn. I'm happy to say that. What I don't want is for a simple explanation to leave somebody feeling they don't qualify for understanding. Whatever brought you here, it's worth asking for help with where you are now.
Thank you for reading. Chris
This is a personal reflection informed by the sources below, not a diagnosis or individual treatment advice.
Further reading: NIH: Treating addiction; NIMH: Substance use and mental health.
Comments
Post a Comment